Winter Lawn Care
December through February
Elite Plus Fescue
- Winter rains will normally provide the moisture needed for Fescue. If dry spells of 10 days or more occur during the winter, irrigate Fescue lawns once or twice per week.
- Decrease mowing from weekly to every 2-3 weeks.
- Fertilize every 8-10 weeks with an all-purpose fertilizer such as a 21-7-14 or 15-15-15 blend.
- If your lawn has a history of grassy weeds, apply a pre-emergent for grassy weeds in the late winter.
Hybrid Bermuda and St. Augustine
- During winter, no mowing, fertilization or irrigation should be required since turf will be in dormancy.
- If Hybrid Bermuda is overseeded with Rye grass for winter color, continue regular mowing and watering in the winter.
- If needed, apply a pre-emergent for grassy weeds in the late winter if you have persistent problems with grassy weeds.
- For small broadleaf weed infestations, remove the weeds by hand. For larger areas, spray with a post-emergent broadleaf weed killer.